Academic Continuity Plans
To support those on your campus who are working to develop alternate delivery modes using academic technologies available at no additional cost through Minnesota State (D2L Brightspace, Kaltura MediaSpace, Zoom, Office 365), we want to share some system office resources we are making available to you and your campuses.
- This event has passed.
Improving Instructor-to-Student Interaction using D2L Brightspace Tools (3 week start date)
The Quality Improvement Process site provides examples of ways to to support instructor-to-student interaction in courses.
- Maintaining instructor presence through regular communications (announcements, updates) and specific student-instructor interactions.
- Engaging in heightened monitoring of student progress throughout the first few weeks and actively communicating with students when they get behind or are having difficulty with the material.
- Monitoring student activity and intervening to redirect behavior as needed.
- Providing ongoing, prompt, and substantive feedback early enough and throughout for students to adjust their performance.
By the end of this three week course you will be able to using D2L Brightspace tools including the Classlist, Announcements, Intelligent Agents, and Discussions tools in your course to improve instructor-to-student interactions in your course. You will be introduced to key workflows and effective practices for developing communication, collaboration, and student engagement.
Course Learning Objectives
- Differentiate between communication tools within D2L Brightspace (e.g. Classlist and Email, Intelligent Agents, and Private Discussions) to facilitate instructor-to-student interactions in your own course.
- Apply D2L Brightspace tools to efficiently communicate with students within your course.
- Select and implement one of the D2L Brightspace tools in your course.
Suggested Background Knowledge
Participants should have access to their own D2L Brightspace course (sandbox or development are acceptable) to practice using the available communication tools.
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers.
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 2-3 hours per week.
Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs one week prior to the start of this course.
Accessing the Course Site: Using the RSVP below allows us to send you reminders about this course and share important information following the course including how to access the corresponding D2L Brightspace course site.
Check Your Junk Mail: After submitting your RSVP, an email confirmation is sent to the email address you provided. Please check your junk/spam folder if this confirmation was not delivered to your inbox.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provided to send you reminder emails as the event date gets closer, but we suggest you add this event to your calendar.
Data Use: Your contact information is not shared with any third-parties, but we plan to use your contact information to send you information about upcoming events on this Events Calendar for which you may be interested.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite.
Have questions about this course?
Please contact email@example.com