Committee activity dominates second week of legislative session
This week has proven to be busy with lengthy committee agendas and meetings that go into the evening. The first committee deadline is March 13, when committees must act favorably on a bill in the house of origin in order for it to remain alive for this legislative session. Committees are starting out strong as they work to meet the first deadline.
Both the Senate and House higher education committees met yesterday, and Minnesota State had the opportunity to present the system’s 2020 capital budget request, as well as the supplemental budget request. Information for both requests can be found HERE.
Minnesota State Chancellor Devinder Malhotra thanked both the Senate and House committee members for their past infrastructure support. “Because of the Legislature and the Governor’s work, we have been able to complete some remarkable transformational infrastructure projects in communities across Minnesota that will benefit teaching and learning for decades to come,” Malhotra said. He shared with members that their efforts supporting the system’s capital budget request can make a positive impact on the student’s experience.
Minnesota State will have the opportunity to present the system’s capital budget request once again before the House Capital Investment division Thursday, Feb. 20 at 8 a.m.
Governor Walz announces State of the State Date
Governor Tim Walz announced he will deliver his second State of the State Address to a joint session of the Minnesota State Legislature on Monday, March 23, 2020, beginning at 7 p.m. The address will be delivered in the Minnesota State Capitol House Chamber.
Updated Key Dates
Below is an updated list of some of the key dates for the 2020 legislative session.
- February 11, 2020: 2020 Legislative Session Convenes
- February 24, 2020: Minnesota State Day at the Capitol
- February 27, 2020: February Economic Forecast Released
- March 13, 2020: Committee Deadline #1: Committees must act favorably on bills in the house of origin
- March 20, 2020: Committee Deadline #2; Committees must act favorably on bills, or companions of bills, that met the first deadline in the other body.
- March 23, 2020: Governor’s State of the State Address
- April 3, 2020: Committee Deadline #3: Committees must act favorably on major appropriation and finance bills.
- April 4-13, 2020: Legislative Break
- May 18, 2020: Last Day of Session
Committee schedules can be found HERE.