The Minnesota State system office invites campuses within the system to submit an interest application as the first step to participate in the Minnesota State Z-Degree Project.
The Z-Degree project, with funding from the State of Minnesota, supports the development of a complete associate or bachelor’s degree program that exclusively uses course resources that are no cost to students. These resources include open educational resources, open textbooks, library-curated materials, and other resources provided at no cost to the student. To be considered a Z-Degree course, the instructor cannot require students to purchase any course resources.
This year, applicants can apply for one of three grant opportunities:
• faculty development
• open textbook exploration and review
• building open textbook capacity in the transfer curriculum
• finalize course development for Z-degree with at least two distinct courses in each transfer curriculum goal area and at least enough credits in each transfer curriculum goal area to complete the transfer curriculum package
• create a Z-degree and offer it by Spring 2025
• add additional courses or course sections
• increase the number of faculty using zero textbook cost materials in a course already part of an existing Z-degree
The system office will select participating campuses from the pool of applicants based upon responses provided in the following readiness categories:
- Readiness of campus personnel
- Structural readiness
- Cultural readiness
- Current open / zero-cost textbook inventory
- Proposed Z-degree and course sequence
Download an Application
Minnesota State faculty and staff can find the application on the Z-degree Project page of the OER Community Site (log in using your StarID@MinnState.edu).
Deadline is 4:00 p.m. on February 3, 2023.
Z-Degree Information Sessions
January 13, 2023 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
January 17, 2023 2:00 p.m.
If you missed the sessions, find a recording on the Z-Degree Project page (log in using your StarID@MinnState.edu).
Submit Your Application
Contact Michael Olesen.
Learn more about Z-degrees and OER at Minnesota State at www.MinnState.edu/OER.