The Network for Educational Development is here to help Minnesota State faculty and staff find development opportunities, a repository of development resources, and opportunities for networking and conversations. Learn more on the NED Resource Site.
- This event has passed.
You’re About to Grow: Using the Finding Your Place College Podcast for Student Orientation, Outreach and Virtual Mentoring (Webinar)
May 28, 2020 @ 10:00 AM - 11:15 AM
In 2019, professors Robert Jersak (Century College) and Dave Engen (Minnesota State University, Mankato) teamed up with a diverse group of six students to produce The Finding Your Place College Podcast – a podcast series featuring authentic student voices as they explore the joys and challenges of college. The podcast is designed to reach all college students, but it is of particular value for those who are new to college and who may be the first in their family to attend college.
Thursday, May 28, 2020
10:00 – 11:15 am
Robert and Dave will facilitate a virtual training session that will help participants:
- Learn about the student-centered educational features of the podcast (content, accessibility and mentoring-at-a-distance)
- Explore ways to use and promote the podcast on your campus and for your online and distance learners
- Understand some of the theoretical underpinnings of the podcast, including Difference-Education, Social Capital, and Cultural Wealth
- Preview specific exercises and assignments in the Finding Your Place Educator’s Guide that can be used in conjunction with the podcast
- Identify some of the resources needed to create orientation and educational podcasts on your own campus
This interactive training session is 75 minutes long, with ample time for addressing questions. There will also be a limited number of additional sessions available for specific college or university representatives who, after attending the initial session, wish to explore the implementation on their campus of the Finding Your Place Podcast Series and/or educational podcasting in general.
Can't join at this time? Other opportunities include: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 10:00 - 11:15 am and Thursday, June 25, 2020 10:00 - 11:15 am. Participants only need to register for one session.