Attached is the DRAFT legislative report promised in my November 7 email. It was developed by the volunteer writing team listed below and addresses the expectations stated in 2014 Minnesota Session Laws on granting credit within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities for K-12 world language competency certificates and seals. (For fuller background, see my September 4 memo). The draft report from the team is attached for your review and comment, and includes some key questions for specific feedback.
Please share with all world languages and ESL faculty and administrators. Reviewers should send comments or suggested edits to Todd Harmening at email@example.com by 5:00 PM on December 8.
A WebEx teleconference will be held on Monday, November 24 from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM to walk through the draft report. Please go to https://mnscu.webex.com/mnscu/j.php?MTID=m8b9f78a4d835ac61a84bccf01181e15b and click on join to participate in that WebEx. (A recording will be posted afterward.)
We again extend thanks to the 70 faculty and administrators from the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, the University of Minnesota, and the Minnesota Department of Education who participated in the discussion on October 3 and provided recommendations. Since that time the following individuals have been developing the report.
- Susana Perez Castillejo, Spanish Instructor, Saint Paul College
- Kimberly Contag, Interim Dean, College of Arts and Humanities, Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Hanna Erpestad, Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Lake Superior College
- Todd Harmening, System Director for Planning, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
- Shannon Klint, Spanish Instructor, Central Lakes College
- Ursula Lentz, World Language and English Learner Specialist, Minnesota Department of Education
- Ralph Townsend, Dean of Liberal Arts, Winona State University
- Amy Uribe, Assistant Professor of Spanish, Winona State University
With gratitude to all those above for their time and energy, and to you for your review of and written contributions to this legislative report.
Lynda Milne | Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs | Minnesota State Colleges & Universities | ofc 651-201-1887 | text 651-237-2133