Registration is open for the Spring 2020 Book Group! This is a statewide opportunity to read, discuss, interact, share, and learn with a book on a topic relevant to our work and create action plans to create more equitable learning opportunities for students on our campuses and to eliminate the equity gap by 2030.
The topic this year is trauma and how it affects our students and communities.
The Body Keeps the Score. Brain, Mind, Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessell van der Kolk.
Participants will need to purchase a copy of the book.
Meeting Dates (Virtual)
- February 25, 2020, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- March 24, 2020, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- April 28, 2020, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
You only need to register to one of the dates to get reminders and updates for all. This is also how participants will be added to the D2L Course.
This professional development opportunity has two main parts:
- Three 90-minute virtual Zoom meetings to discuss how the experiences and perspectives in this book relate to our students.
- D2L Brightspace course to explore issues related to trauma and how to prepare our campuses to better serve students who have experienced trauma. The “course” will use short, asynchronous, interactive activities to help us explore how we can better serve our students, connect across the system, and share resources.
Participate in as much or as little as you’d like or your schedules allow!
All faculty and staff from any Minnesota State college or university are invited to participate. We also encourage campuses to:
- have conversations/meetings on your campus to complement our work together
- use a buddy system to move through any of the book group activities with a colleague
- purchase copies of books for employees on your campus (for example, through the library, center for teaching and learning, diversity office, etc.)
Share the news with your colleagues with this Spring 2020 Book Group Flyer!
Contact Catherine Ford.