- This event has passed.
Culturally Responsive Pedagogy – Section 1 (3 week short course)
Culturally Responsive Pedagogy – Section 1
June 1 – June 21
How can we, as instructors, shift our teaching practices to address educational disparities and meet the goals of Equity 2030? One promising path is to ground our practices in Culturally Responsive Pedagogy. In this course, we’ll have the opportunity to critically reflect on our equity gap data and examine how well our current practices align with the central tenets of CRP. CRP advocates that faculty critically reflect on the cultural values embodied in our current practices, that we draw on the knowledge, skills, and cultural values our students bring to the classroom, that we create supportive relationships that allow students to take learning risks, and that we prepare students to challenge barriers to their full flourishing. Every course can embody these principles, and we welcome instructors from Arts and Humanities, STEM, Career & Technical, so we can together create a collaborative community in which we give and get support for deepening our CRP practices.
Course Learning Objectives
Through engaging in the work of the training, faculty will be able to:
- explain to others the central tenets of Culturally Responsive Pedagogy,
- incorporate those central tenets into course outcomes, materials, assessments, activities, syllabi, and relationships,
- identify interconnections between implicit bias, microaggressions, structural racism, stereotype threat, and course success,
- use our increased skills at CRP to share with, support, and encourage other faculty learners to increase everyone’s skills at CRP,
- trace how our values have changed and/or deepened through engaging in course, and
- create a professional development plan for making next steps on the journey of culturally responsive teaching.
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Create, save and upload Word documents
- Navigate Microsoft Windows
- Create and send an email using your MinnState account
- Evaluate and decide whether or not to use OneDrive
- Set up, Attend, and Participate in Zoom gatherings
- Perform basic tasks associated with the following D2L Brightspace tools: Content, Quizzes, Surveys, Discussion, and Assignments
Hammons, Z. (2015). Culturally responsive teaching & the brain: Promoting authentic engagement and rigor among culturally and linguistically diverse students. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin, 2015.
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers.
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 4-6 hours per week.
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
Use the RSVP tool below to register. There is a limit of 30 participants per course.
Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs one week prior to the start of this course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provided to send you reminder emails as the event date gets closer, but we suggest you add this event to your calendar.
Data Use: Campuses want to know if their faculty are using the educational development resources and opportunities made available from Minnesota State to best tailor their on-campus offerings. We will provide participation information upon campus request. You may opt out of this report by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We plan to use your contact information to send you information about upcoming events on the NED Events Calendar for which you may be interested.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite. Using the RSVP tool below allows us to send you reminders about this course and share important information following the course including how to access the corresponding D2L Brightspace course site.