The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
Summer 2023 Flyer | NED Course Catalog | NED Resource Site | Navigating the NED
- This event has passed.
Culturally Responsive Pedagogy: Faculty Learning Community Fall 2021
September 13, 2021Free
September 13 – December 5, 2021
Our chancellor has given us the challenge of eliminating our equity gaps by 2030. How can we, as instructors, shift our teaching practices to meet this goal? One promising path is to ground those practices in Culturally Responsive Pedagogy. In this course, we’ll have the opportunity to examine how well our current practices align with the central tenets of Culturally Responsive Pedagogy. CRP advocates that good teaching draws on the knowledge and skill our students bring to the classroom, creates supportive relationships that allow students to take learning risks, and prepares students to challenge barriers to their full flourishing. In this course we will give and get support for deepening our CRP practices.
All participants will receive the e-book for Zaretta Hammond’s Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain, which will be an option reading for the short course. Details for acquiring a free version of this e-book will be sent to participants.
From the Facilitator
Community expectations are:
- read Zaretta Hammond’s Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain
- engage with some short supplemental materials (articles, videos, websites)
- attend 4 Zoom sessions
- Complete 3 Action projects
- Contribute to 4 (out of 6 possible) asynchronous discussions
- Submit a final reflection
Participant Learning Outcomes:
Through engaging in the work of the training, faculty will be able to:
- explain to others the central tenets of Culturally Responsive Pedagogy,
- incorporate those central tenets into course outcomes, materials, assessments, activities, syllabi, and relationships,
- identify interconnections between implicit bias, microaggressions, trauma, structural racism, stereotype threat, and course success,
- use our increased skills at CRP to share with, support, and encourage other faculty learners to increase everyone’s skills at CRP,
- trace how our values have changed and/or deepened through engaging in course, and
- create a professional development plan for making next steps on the journey of culturally responsive teaching.
The training aims to increase student success and decrease equity gaps by supporting our work to:
- draw on the knowledge and skill our students bring into the classroom,
- create supportive relationships that allow students to take learning risks,
- investigate how our own biases and assumptions show up in our teaching practice, and
- create more equitable classrooms
The training aligns with, and offers supplementary materials on:
- poverty responsive pedagogy
- trauma responsive pedagogy
- mindfulness-toward-equity pedagogy
- open educational pedagogy
*Limit 30 Participants
Use the RSVP tool below to register. Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs one week prior to the start of this course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provide to send a calendar appointment to remind you of the start date of this short course.
Data Use: Campuses want to know if their faculty are using the educational development resources and opportunities made available from Minnesota State to best tailor their on-campus offerings. We will provide participation information upon campus request. You may opt out of this report by contacting email@example.com. We plan to use your contact information to send you information about upcoming events on the NED Events Calendar for which you may be interested.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
Please contact facilitator Lisa Bergin.
What time does this start and end?
This learning community goes from September 13 – December 5, 2021. It includes asynchronous activities on D2L Brightspace as well as a few synchronous Zoom sessions.