The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
Summer 2023 Flyer | NED Course Catalog | NED Resource Site | Navigating the NED
- This event has passed.
Culturally Responsive Pedagogy: Summer 2021 (3 week short course)
July 26, 2021Free
July 26 – August 15, 2021
Our chancellor has given us the challenge of eliminating our equity gaps by 2030. How can we, as instructors, shift our teaching practices to meet this goal? One promising path is to ground those practices in Culturally Responsive Pedagogy. In this introductory course, we’ll have the opportunity to examine how well our current practices align with the central tenets of Culturally Responsive Pedagogy. CRP advocates that good teaching draws on the knowledge and skill our students bring to the classroom, creates supportive relationships that allow students to take learning risks, and prepares students to challenge barriers to their full flourishing. In this course we will increase our knowledge of some foundational CRP practices.
Training expectations are weekly short readings and weekly contributions to asynchronous discussions focused on how we might incorporate CRP into our teaching practices. All participants will receive a copy of Zaretta Hammond’s Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain, which will be an option reading for the short course.
Course Learning Objectives
Through engaging in the work of the training, faculty will be able to:
- explain to others the central tenets of Culturally Responsive Pedagogy,
- gain ideas for how to incorporate those central tenets into course outcomes, materials, assessments, activities, syllabi, and relationships,
- identify interconnections between microaggressions, structural racism, stereotype threat, and course success,
- use our increased knowledge of CRP to share with, support, and encourage other faculty learners to increase everyone’s skills at CRP,
- trace how our values have changed and/or deepened through engaging in course, and
- create a professional development plan for making next steps on the journey of culturally responsive teaching.
From the Facilitator
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Create, save and upload Word documents
- Navigate Microsoft Windows
- Create and send an email using your MinnState account
- Evaluate and decide whether or not to use OneDrive
- Set up, Attend, and Participate in Zoom gatherings
- Perform basic tasks associated with the following D2L Brightspace tools: Content, Quizzes, Surveys, Discussion, and Assignments
Work Involved/Artifacts Produced
- Weekly work reading, watching, learning, reflecting
- 4 Discussion Posts (1 connection, 3 summary) and responses to peers
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers.
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 4-6 hours per week (mileage may vary).
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
Use the RSVP tool below to register. Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs the Thursday prior to the start of this course. There is a limit of 30 participants per course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provide to send a calendar appointment to remind you of the start date of this short course.
Data Use: Campuses want to know if their faculty are using the educational development resources and opportunities made available from Minnesota State to best tailor their on-campus offerings. We will provide participation information upon campus request. You may opt out of this report by contacting email@example.com. We plan to use your contact information to send you information about upcoming events on the NED Events Calendar for which you may be interested.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite. Using the RSVP tool below allows us to send you reminders about this course and share important information following the course including how to access the corresponding D2L Brightspace course site.
Contact facilitator Kleber Ortiz.
Leave a Reply