The Network for Educational Development is here to help Minnesota State faculty and staff find development opportunities, a repository of development resources, and opportunities for networking and conversations. Learn more on the NED Resource Site.
Designing Your Course for Student Learning: Fall 2021 (3 week short course)
September 13 – October 3, 2021
This 3 week short course provides participants an opportunity to review the design of their course so that the assignments they have planned in a course are aligned with the learning objectives students are supposed to master. Here is what participants will do in this course:
- Apply Bloom’s Revised Taxonomy to course module objectives
- Select assessment tools, learning materials, and learning activities, that align with the course and module objectives
- Explore various teaching and learning tools that align with a course design
- Implement a course map for one module using D2L Brightspace
- Reflect on your experiences in the course
Course Learning Objectives
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Design a unit/module roadmap that aligns objectives, activities, and assessments. (McTighe and Wiggins, 2004).
- Use tools available within the learning management system (D2L Brightspace) to outline the design of their course
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Create, save and upload Word documents
- Navigate Microsoft Windows
- Create and send an email using your MinnState account
- Evaluate and decide whether or not to use OneDrive
- Perform basic tasks associated with the following D2L Brightspace tools: Content, Quizzes and Assignments
- Upload documents
- Create an HTML document
- Create a Quiz
- Create an assignment Dropbox that links to the gradebook
- Create a Discussion Thread
- Communication tools in Brightspace
- Create emails
- Post News Items
- Prior to beginning this course, you should complete the following activities.
- Select a course outline to use
- Select module to use
- Contact your campus D2L/IT Helpdesk to create a D2L Brightspace “Sample/Sandbox” Course if you do not have one.
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 4-6 hours per week.
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
Use the RSVP tool below to register. Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close registration the Friday before the course begins. There is a limit of 30 participants per course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provide to send a calendar appointment to remind you of the start date of this short course.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite.
Contact facilitator Educational Innovations.