The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
Learn more on the NED Resource Site.
Equity and Technology: Summer 2022
June 6 – June 26, 2022
Learn to apply an equity lens to your teaching with technology. This course is an introduction to the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) as an equity framework. Explore ways to design courses that address access, accessibility, as well as equitable learning outcomes.
In this course, we take a broad view of teaching – whether you are providing customer service, training a new employee, or coordinating student clubs – teaching happens all the time! All faculty, non-teaching faculty, and staff are welcome to join this course and envision how teaching and technology can be re-designed through an equity lens.
Course Learning Objectives
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Distinguish between access, accessibility, and equity in relation to teaching/working with technology
- Define universal design for learning (UDL) and its connections with culturally responsive teaching in your own words/way
- Analyze the technology used in a teaching or work activity through an equity lens
- Apply UDL and its connections to culturally responsive teaching to a working/learning activity or assessment
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Create, save and upload Word documents
- Navigate Microsoft Windows
- Create and send an email using your Minnesota State account
- Evaluate and decide whether or not to use OneDrive
- Set up, Attend, and Participate in Zoom gatherings
- Perform basic tasks associated with the following D2L Brightspace tools: Content, Quizzes, Surveys, Discussion, and Assignments
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers.
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 4-6 hours per week (mileage may vary).
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
Use the RSVP tool below to register. There is a limit of 30 participants per course.
Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs the Friday prior to the start of this course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provided to send you reminder emails as the event date gets closer, but we suggest you add this event to your calendar.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite. Using the RSVP tool below allows us to send you reminders about this course and share important information following the course including how to access the corresponding D2L Brightspace course site.
Contact Kerri Mahoney.