The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
- This event has passed.
Equity Book Group: March 2022
March 24, 2022 @ 12:00 PM - 1:00 PMFree
This is a statewide opportunity to read, discuss, interact, share, and learn with a book on a topic relevant to our work and create action plans to create more equitable learning opportunities for students on our campuses and to eliminate the equity gap by 2030.
The first 150 to register will receive a free digital copy of the book!
All faculty and staff from any Minnesota State college or university are invited to participate. We also encourage campuses to:
- have conversations/meetings on your campus to complement our work together
- use a buddy system to move through any of the book group activities with a colleague
This professional development opportunity has two main parts:
- Three 60-minute virtual Zoom meetings to discuss how the experiences and perspectives in this book relate to our students.
- D2L Brightspace course to explore issues related to the book. The “course” will use short, asynchronous, interactive activities to help us explore how we can better serve our students, connect across the system, and share resources.
The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America
by Richard Rothstein
In his New York Times Bestseller, Richard Rothstein, a leading authority on housing policy, destroys the myth that the racial divides in our communities are the result of individual prejudices and income differences. Rather, Rothstein provides overwhelming evidence that laws and policies passed by local, state, and federal governments promoted the discriminatory patterns that continue to this day. Join us as we unearth this “forgotten history” and explore its impact personally and communally.
Register for each meeting to receive a calendar appointment with Zoom details.
- Thursday, February 24th 12:00-1:00 p.m. | Register
Covers pp. vii-58 (Preface – Chapter 3) and pp. 219 – 233 (from Frequently Asked Questions)
- Thursday, March 24th 12:00-1:00 p.m. | Register below
Covers pp. 59 – 138 (Chapters 4-8) and pp. 225 – 233 (from Frequently Asked Questions)
- Thursday, April 21st 12:00-1:00 p.m. | Register
Covers pp. 139-218 (Chapter 9 – Epilogue) and pp. 233-239 (from Frequently Asked Questions)