The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
- This event has passed.
Foundations of Teaching Online: Deans 2023
June 5 – August 6, 2023
(Break 7/3 – 7/9)
The Foundations of Teaching Online long course will help faculty build well-designed online experiences for their students, and deans evaluate online experiences from a student perspective. Participants will learn about quality standards in online course design and the basic principles of backwards design and alignment. In addition, they will be introduced to strategies that create a welcoming, accessible, and collaborative environment where all learners can succeed.
The class is split into two groups: a faculty track and a dean track.
While some course experiences will be together, many assignments will be targeted to different campus roles.
Course Learning Objectives – Dean Track
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- DESCRIBE key components of quality course design
- COMPARE two different sets of online course evaluation standards
- EVALUATE a course for alignment
- EVALUATE a course for evidence of humanizing strategies and student-friendly navigation
- DEMONSTRATE ability to use D2L and academic technology tools through practice and/or review of examples/best practices
- IDENTIFY elements that improve the accessibility of course materials including documents, webpages, and media
From the Facilitators
Use the RSVP tool below to register. There is a limit of 10 participants per course.
Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs the Friday prior to the start of this course.
Reminder Coming: We use the email address you provide to send a calendar appointment to remind you of the start date of this short course.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations to participate in this event, please send an email to the facilitator at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using the D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite.