The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
Learn more on the NED Resource Site.
- This event has passed.
Improving Instructor-to-Student Interaction: Fall 2021 (3 week short course)
September 13 – October 3, 2021
By the end of this three-week course, you will be able to use D2L Brightspace tools (including Classlist, Email, Intelligent Agents, personalized Announcements, and private Discussions) to improve instructor-to-student interactions. You will be provided with efficient ways to email students, tips and tricks to personalize communication for students, and strategies to connect with students one-on-one. You will be provided with effective practices for communicating with and engaging students within online courses.
Course Learning Objectives
After completing the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand general uses for using communication tools and features (Classlist and Email, Intelligent Agents, Announcements, and Discussions) for instructor-to-student interactions in a course.
- Understand best practices using these communication tools to facilitate instructor-to-student course interactions.
- Analyze and Apply practical strategies for one or more scenario(s) in instructor-to-student course interactions.
- Evaluate and Reflect on how these strategies may improve instructor-to-student interactions in a course.
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Create, save and upload Microsoft Word documents
- Perform basic tasks associated with the following D2L Brightspace tools: Content, Discussions and Assignments
Participants should have access to their own D2L Brightspace course (sandbox or development are acceptable) to practice using the available course tools and features. Contact your campus D2L/IT Helpdesk to create a D2L Brightspace “Sample/Sandbox” Course if you do not have one.
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers.
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 2-3 hours per week.
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
*Limit 30 Participants
Use the RSVP tool below to register. Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close registration the Friday before the course begins.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provide to send a calendar appointment to remind you of the start date of this short course.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite. Using the RSVP tool below allows us to send you reminders about this course and share important information following the course including how to access the corresponding D2L Brightspace course site.