The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
- This event has passed.
Integrating Retrieval Practice: Fall 2022
September 19 – October 9, 2022
This course is an introduction to retrieval practice teaching methods. Retrieval practice focuses on improving long-term learning. We help students retrieve through deliberate recall of skills and knowledge, spaced out over time, and reviewed along with other concepts.
More than 100 years of educational research in both the lab and in classrooms has supported the effectiveness (and simplicity!) of retrieval practice on improving retention, higher order thinking skills, and transfer of knowledge and skill to new contexts.
We will explore both teaching and technological strategies for using retrieval practice in our course:
- Module 1 shares the Why and the What of retrieval practice.
- Module 2 focuses on the How and shares teaching methods and technology tools to support retrieval practice.
- Module 3 looks at student success with retrieval including metacognition and evaluation of teaching methods.
Course Learning Objectives
After completing the course, participants will be able to:
- Apply principles of retrieval practice to course design or unit development
- Discuss research findings connecting retrieval practice to student success
- Explore various teaching and learning tools that align with retrieval practice
- Implement strategies to support student retrieval practice
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers.
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 2-3 hours per week.
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
Use the RSVP tool below to register. Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs the Thursday prior to the start of this course. There is a limit of 30 participants per course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provide to send a calendar appointment to remind you of the start date of this short course.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite.
Contact Facilitator Dan Allosso.