The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
- This event has passed.
Manage Course Dates to Improve Student Engagement: Fall 2022
October 24 – November 13, 2022
By the end of this three-week course, you will be able to use D2L Brightspace tools (including the Import/Export/Copy Components, Manage Dates, and Brightspace Pulse) to effectively course facilitation for student motivation. You will be provided with efficient ways to offset dates from previously offered courses, tips and tricks to manage your course dates, and strategies to communicate dates to engage your students. You will be provided with practical strategies to effectively manage course dates to improve student engagement within online courses.
Course Learning Objectives
After completing the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and differentiate online course tools, features, and applications (Import/Export/Copy Components, Manage Dates, and Brightspace Pulse) that may be utilized to manage course dates
- Understand best practices using online course tools and features to communicate course dates to students
- Analyze and apply practical strategies for real-world scenarios to motivate students
- Evaluate and reflect how these strategies may improve student learning and engagement in online courses
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Create, save and upload Microsoft Word documents
- Perform basic tasks associated with the following D2L Brightspace tools: Content, Discussions and Assignments
Participants should have access to their own D2L Brightspace course (sandbox or development are acceptable) to practice using the available course tools and features. Contact your campus D2L/IT Helpdesk to create a D2L Brightspace “Sample/Sandbox” Course if you do not have one.
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers.
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 2-3 hours per week.
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
Use the RSVP tool below to register. Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs the Thursday prior to the start of this course. There is a limit of 30 participants per course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provide to send a calendar appointment to remind you of the start date of this short course.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite.
Contact facilitator Carolyn Weber.