The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
Technology Tools for Teaching
March 20, 2023Free
March 20 – April 9, 2023
You may have used Kaltura MediaSpace as the quickest way to record your screen for a lecture, or as a place to store your recordings. You may have used Zoom as the quickest way to record a lecture or try to replicate a synchronous discussion. Now is the time to reflect and identify the instructional objective first and consider the best tool for the job. By the end of this three–week course you will be able to identify and apply instructional strategies that utilize Kaltura MediaSpace and Zoom tools to enhance your course and student learning.
Course Learning Objectives
After completing the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and align at least one instructional strategy with one of the tools within Kaltura MediaSpace as part of your course
- Use a webcam or mobile device to record a video that demonstrates the use of teacher presence
- Use a webcam or mobile device to record a video that applies each of the five video production principles
- Use Kaltura to create captions that have an accuracy of at least 99%
- Share a video from Kaltura MediaSpace in an D2L Brightspace course
- Identify and align at least one instructional strategy with one of the tools within Zoom as part of your course
- Select and implement one of the tools within Zoom as part of your instructional strategies in your course
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Perform basic tasks associated with Zoom, Kaltura MediaSpace, and D2L Brightspace.
Participants should have access to their own D2L Brightspace course (sandbox or development are acceptable) to practice using the available course tools and features. Contact your campus D2L/IT Helpdesk to create a D2L Brightspace “Sample/Sandbox” Course if you do not have one.
Faculty, Instructional Designers and Technologists, Faculty Developers/Trainers, any staff who uses video and wants to learn more.
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 4-6 hours per week.
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
Use the RSVP tool below to register. Limit of 30 participants.
Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs the Friday prior to the start of this course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provide to send a calendar appointment to remind you of the start date of this short course.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite.
Contact the Educational Development and Technology unit.