The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
- This event has passed.
Culturally Responsive Pedagogy: Spring 2022
March 21, 2022Free
March 21 – April 10, 2022
Our chancellor has given us the challenge of eliminating our equity gaps by 2030. How can we, as instructors, shift our teaching practices to meet this goal? One promising path is to ground those practices in Culturally Responsive Pedagogy. In this introductory course, we’ll have the opportunity to examine how well our current practices align with the central tenets of Culturally Responsive Pedagogy. CRP advocates that good teaching draws on the knowledge and skill our students bring to the classroom, creates supportive relationships that allow students to take learning risks, and prepares students to challenge barriers to their full flourishing. In this course we will increase our knowledge of some foundational CRP practices.
Training expectations are weekly short readings and weekly contributions to asynchronous discussions focused on how we might incorporate CRP into our teaching practices. All participants will receive a copy of Zaretta Hammond’s Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain, which will be an option reading for the short course.
Course Learning Objectives
Through engaging in the work of the training, faculty will be able to:
- explain to others the central tenets of Culturally Responsive Pedagogy,
- gain ideas for how to incorporate those central tenets into course outcomes, materials, assessments, activities, syllabi, and relationships,
- identify interconnections between microaggressions, structural racism, stereotype threat, and course success,
- use our increased knowledge of CRP to share with, support, and encourage other faculty learners to increase everyone’s skills at CRP,
- trace how our values have changed and/or deepened through engaging in course, and
- create a professional development plan for making next steps on the journey of culturally responsive teaching.
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Create, save and upload Word documents
- Navigate Microsoft Windows
- Create and send an email using your MinnState account
- Evaluate and decide whether or not to use OneDrive
- Set up, Attend, and Participate in Zoom gatherings
- Perform basic tasks associated with the following D2L Brightspace tools: Content, Quizzes, Surveys, Discussion, and Assignments
Work Involved/Artifacts Produced
- Weekly work reading, watching, learning, reflecting
- 4 Discussion Posts (1 connection, 3 summary) and responses to peers
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers.
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 4-6 hours per week (mileage may vary).
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
Use the RSVP tool below to register. There is a limit of 30 participants per course.
Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs the Friday prior to the start of this course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provided to send you reminder emails as the event date gets closer, but we suggest you add this event to your calendar.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite. Using the RSVP tool below allows us to send you reminders about this course and share important information following the course including how to access the corresponding D2L Brightspace course site.
Contact Educational Innovations.