The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
Learn more on the NED Resource Site.
- This event has passed.
Culturally Responsive Teaching for Biology Faculty
May 19, 2021Free
May 19 – June 9, 2021
Faculty members teaching within the discipline of Biology are invited to join colleagues in this three week short course to explore and apply elements of culturally responsive teaching to the courses you teach.
In this three week course, participants will complete short readings w/ corresponding activities and participate in weekly synchronous discussions via Zoom.
Course Learning Objectives
Through engaging in the work of the training, faculty will be able to:
- Identify how your personal and social identity impacts your role as a faculty member
- Apply four elements of culturally responsive classrooms to your course syllabus
- Apply practices that support equity minded teaching.
- Create a professional development plan for making next steps on the journey of culturally responsive teaching.
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Create, save and upload Word documents
- Navigate Microsoft Windows
- Create and send an email using your MinnState account
- Evaluate and decide whether or not to use OneDrive
- Set up, Attend, and Participate in Zoom gatherings
- Perform basic tasks associated with the following D2L Brightspace tools: Content, Quizzes, Surveys, Discussion, and Assignments
Faculty (Full-time and part-time) teaching courses within the field of Biology
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 4-6 hours per week (mileage may vary).
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
*Limit 30 Participants
Use the RSVP tool below to register. Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs one week prior to the start of this course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provide to send a calendar appointment to remind you of the start date of this short course.
Data Use: Campuses want to know if their faculty are using the educational development resources and opportunities made available from Minnesota State to best tailor their on-campus offerings. We will provide participation information upon campus request. You may opt out of this report by contacting email@example.com. We plan to use your contact information to send you information about upcoming events on the NED Events Calendar for which you may be interested.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite. Using the RSVP tool below allows us to send you reminders about this course and share important information following the course including how to access the corresponding D2L Brightspace course site.