The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
Learn more on the NED Resource Site.
- This event has passed.
Designing Your Course for Student Learning – Option 2 (3 week short course)
November 30, 2020Free
November 30 – December 20
This 3 week short course provides participants an opportunity to review the design of their course so that the assignments they have planned in a course are aligned with the learning objectives students are supposed to master. Here is what participants will do in this course:
- Apply Bloom’s Revised Taxonomy to course module objectives
- Select assessment tools, learning materials, and learning activities, that align with the course and module objectives
- Explore various teaching and learning tools that align with a course design
- Implement a course map for one module using D2L Brightspace
- Reflect on your experiences in the course
From the Facilitator: An Overview of the Course
Course Learning Objectives
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Design a unit/module roadmap that aligns objectives, activities, and assessments. (McTighe and Wiggins, 2004).
- Use tools available within the learning management system (D2L Brightspace) to outline the design of their course
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Create, save and upload Word documents
- Navigate Microsoft Windows
- Create and send an email using your MinnState account
- Evaluate and decide whether or not to use OneDrive
- Perform basic tasks associated with the following D2L Brightspace tools: Content, Quizzes and Assignments
- Upload documents
- Create an HTML document
- Create a Quiz
- Create an assignment Dropbox that links to the gradebook
- Create a Discussion Thread
- Communication tools in Brightspace
- Create emails
- Post News Items
- Prior to beginning this course, you should complete the following activities.
- Select a course outline to use
- Select module to use
- Contact your campus D2L/IT Helpdesk to create a D2L Brightspace “Sample/Sandbox” Course if you do not have one.
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 4-6 hours per week.
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
Use the RSVP tool below to register. There is a limit of 30 participants per course.
Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs one week prior to the start of this course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provided to send you reminder emails as the event date gets closer, but we suggest you add this event to your calendar.
Data Use: Campuses want to know if their faculty are using the educational development resources and opportunities made available from Minnesota State to best tailor their on-campus offerings. We will provide participation information upon campus request. You may opt out of this report by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We plan to use your contact information to send you information about upcoming events on the NED Events Calendar for which you may be interested.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite. Using the RSVP tool below allows us to send you reminders about this course and share important information following the course including how to access the corresponding D2L Brightspace course site.