The NED was established to provide educational development opportunities that are designed by Minnesota State faculty and staff for Minnesota State faculty and staff. These opportunities help build awareness, develop knowledge, skills, and abilities, and provide space for reflecting and revising.
Learn more on the NED Resource Site.
- This event has passed.
Improving Online Assessments: Summer 2021 (3 week short course)
June 1, 2021Free
June 1 – June 20, 2021
Not only can improving online assessments more accurately capture what students know, but it can also increase learning, deter student cheating, and save you time over the long term. In this short course, you’ll examine and apply principles of validity & reliability and writing effective quiz and test questions. You will then have the opportunity to evaluate and revise or develop your own online assessments. Additionally, you’ll learn D2L specific strategies to improve test security and provide feedback.
Course Learning Objectives
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Apply principles of effective assessments to developing test questions
- Implement strategies to improve test security
- Utilize different methods of feedback on assessments
Key Topics include:
- MOTIVATION: This course focuses on assessment strategies for boosting motivation to promote academic honesty.
- ALIGNMENT: Use alignment to boost assessment reliability and validity and build motivation.
- RETRIEVAL PRACTICE: A teaching method that uses quizzing for enhancing learning and motivation.
- WRITING EFFECTIVE QUESTIONS: Multiple choice, true false are explored, and extension materials for addressing additional question types are offered.
- QUIZZES: Focus on D2L Brightspace Quizzes features including question pools, sections, security features, feedback options, and more!
Technical Skill Requirements
- Use a web browser
- Create, save and upload Word documents
- Navigate Microsoft Windows
- Create and send an email using your Minnesota State account
- Evaluate and decide whether or not to use OneDrive
- Perform basic tasks associated with the following D2L Brightspace tools: Content, Quizzes and Assignments
Prior to beginning this course, you should complete the following activities:
- Select a course and related assessments to which you’d like to apply these concepts
- Contact your campus D2L/IT Helpdesk to create a D2L Brightspace “Sample/Sandbox” Course if you do not have one.
Faculty (Full-time and part-time), Instructional Designers and Technologists, and Faculty Developers/Trainers
Estimated Time Commitment
Most participants are able to complete this course by committing 4-6 hours per week.
Reflect on your Professional Development
As you progress through this course, please consider how you can use the assignments as a way to highlight your work on your Professional Development Plan. Consider sharing your work with your leadership team.
Use the RSVP tool below to register. Because we need time to enroll participants into the corresponding D2L Brightspace Course site, we will close RSVPs the Thursday prior to the start of this course. There is a limit of 30 participants per course.
Reminders Coming: We use the email address you provide to send a calendar appointment to remind you of the start date of this short course.
Data Use: Campuses want to know if their faculty are using the educational development resources and opportunities made available from Minnesota State to best tailor their on-campus offerings. We will provide participation information upon campus request. You may opt out of this report by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We plan to use your contact information to send you information about upcoming events on the NED Events Calendar for which you may be interested.
Accommodations: If you require accommodations (live captioning, etc.) to participate in this event, please send an email to the person at the bottom of this page.
This course is hosted and facilitated using shared D2L Brightspace instance of Minnesota State called, MnSite. Using the RSVP tool below allows us to send you reminders about this course and share important information following the course including how to access the corresponding D2L Brightspace course site.
Contact facilitator Elizabeth Harsma.