Interested in getting an up-close look at an innovation? Attend a workshop the day following the 2021 Shark Tank Open, April 9 from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. There are four to choose from, learn more below – and don’t forget to register for the 2021 Shark Tank Open to watch live pitches of new innovative ideas!
Culturally Responsive Pedagogy Workshop
Participants will learn about the new Culturally Responsive Pedagogy training at Minneapolis Community and Technical College. This training leverages several Innovation Grant funded initiatives which have supported our college’s building capacity and skills around CRP, Open Education, Mindfulness, and Trauma Awareness.
By engaging in the workshop, participants will:
- Connect culturally responsive pedagogy to equity-focused mindfulness, open education, trauma responsive, and poverty responsive pedagogies, toward deeper understanding of each,
- Reflect on how their own current understandings and practices align with these theories of teaching and learning,
- Practice, ask questions, learn from, and support one another, inspire and be inspired!
Presenter: Lisa Bergin, Minneapolis College
Digital Badging Workshop
Digital badging is a new curricular concept to address some of the challenges faced in higher ed. In this workshop, the presenters will demonstrate the use of digital badges to promote student success and as an avenue for collaboration for faculty/staff across disciplines both at 4-year and 2-year institutions. Participants are encouraged to bring a laptop or similar computing device.
Workshop topics include:
- What is digital badging / microcredentialing?
- Creating and awarding D2L digital badges for your class.
- How to motivate students to earn digital badges.
- Kannan Sivaprakasam, St. Cloud State University
- Ken Graetz, Winona State University
- Plamen Miltenoff, St. Cloud State University
- Eugenia Paulus, North Hennepin Community College
The Power of an Innovative Mindset
The unprecedented demand of today’s educational and workplace environments require a toolkit of competencies, career readiness skills, and confidence to successfully navigate toward success while overcoming uncertainty, adversity, and constant change management. Join this workshop to learn how developing an Innovative Mindset and “Thinking like an entrepreneur” regardless of your working environment can build strength in: creativity and innovation, risk taking, self-acceptance/non-conformity, adaptability, reframing failure into lessons learned, proactive behavior, GRIT (passion and perseverance), entrepreneurial alertness/opportunity recognition, and diversity agility. These “super-powers” will strengthen your ability to reach your own highest potential as well as support your students in reaching their own!
Presenter: Dr. Denise E. Williams, Metropolitan State University
Virtual Reality Workshop
This workshop will cover using Virtual Reality for education. We’ll talk about VR hardware and software, where the VR Market and hardware is currently and likely to go. We’ll talk about the challenges and rewards of implementing VR in your educational plan and cover using Social VR such as AltspaceVR to deliver classes, events, and workshops. This workshop is appropriate for faculty, staff, and administrators of any skill level.
Presenter: Mark Gill, St. Cloud State University
Questions? Contact Stephen Kelly.